Tuesday, April 26, 2016

I don't know what I'm doing

I volunteered to develop courses in Aboriginal Studies. They have outcomes and textbooks. The textbooks are no longer in print.

Then I was told the First Nations treaty officers thought people didn't understand treaties. Could we create a teaching unit on that topic?  No problem I said. 

How hard could it be?  Treaties are legal agreements my ancestors signed with the ancestors of indigenous people. I would find out what those agreements were, find historical documents and images, fit them into the learning outcomes for Aboriginal Studies and Social Studies and we would have a course.

I bought books. Lots of books. Do you know how many books about treaties there are? LOTS OF BOOKS.

I have no background in Aboriginal Issues and a very limited background in Canadian history but I'm relatively intelligent. I know course design. I can learn.

Yeah.

Not as easy as all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment